Wednesday, May 20, 2009

Herogasm #1 - Dynamite Entertainment


I know . . I can't believe I picked it up either. But, in my defense, I had a couple of things working against me. First of all . . I love the Boys. I think it's a great title, and I love the characters. Since this is associated with that . . I know . . it's a stretch . . but it's arguable. Right? Secondly, my shop guy had a little note on the stack that said, "This is a very naughty book!" Hey! I'm a comic geek. Right? You can't put stuff out there like that and expect me not to look. Right? Anyways, that's my defense. And I'm sticking with it. Also . . it's a 4 issue mini, so . . it's not like I'm making a huge investment in time or money. The cover here is by Darick Robertson, but the interiors are by Garth Ennis and John McCrea. Overall, this is actually another chapter of the Boys. But I think because of the content, they had to do this one separate. They probably just didn't want to alienate any of the Boys readers who might not like this stuff. But when you get down to it, the whole thing is just another poke at the rest of the comic-book industry. The premise here is that once a year, all the heroes and villains, no matter what team they're on, get together to fight some huge earth-shattering event. This year it's the Marith'ra! They've got a Battelite ship supposedly entering our galaxy around Saturn, and everybody has to go there to fight it. It boosts up everybody's credibility, and impresses their fans and admirers. But really? . . really they're all going to a remote island off of Costa Rica. There . . there they're all going to have a week long orgy, or . . whatever else they feel like doing. Hence the name, Herogasm! This year though, because of everything that went down with the G-Men, they can blame it on the Marith'ra. "We've heard that . . the G-Men . . that our comrades, the G-Men, have been targeted in a preemptive strike by the invaders . . and have not been seen since." Anyways, as expected the Boys are also there spying on their targets. However, they're watching the airports, not the hotels. They watch 2 planes come in, one from Voight-American, with our mysterious guy that seems to be involved with everything that has to do with the 7. The other plane is Air-Force One, and it has the VP on board. So Hughie asks which 'supers' they're after this time. "Oh. We ain't after supes at all, Hughie. Not this time. We're here for . . . your looking at him." This time they appear to be after the VP. There's a lot of nudity and carnal behavior in this issue, but like I said, when it comes down to it it's really just another Boys adventure. I love how Garth makes fun of all the other comic companies. The names he uses for all the various invasions are hilarious. And during the orgy, he's even got someone talking like Zatanna . . "Krow eht tfahs . . . eldarc eht sllab . ." Hilarious stuff here. Obviously this book isn't for everyone, but . .it is funny.

No comments:

Post a Comment