Wednesday, May 13, 2009

Blackest Night #0 - DC


I was really excited when I got to my shop on Wednesday. My guy doesn't usually participate in the free comic book day. I agree with the concept, but . . the distributors should still make it more advantageous for the retailers. From my understanding, if you got all the free books that were available this year, there were about 80. So lets say half of that . . 40, times 50 copies, times the 26 cents each that the retailers have to pay for them, that would be about $520 that it would cost them just to give it all away. Like I said, I like the concept, but the majority of shops are individually owned, or family . . with the way the economy is, I don't know if they could absorb that cost. Anyways . . sorry, I'll get off my soap-box . . the only 'Free Comic Book Day' comic I currently have is the Teen Titans Go! book. And I bought that one for 50 cents a few years later when I saw it in a bin. So I was happy when I saw that he had a stack of the Blackest Night #0 books. Not even so much because it was free, but because I've been thrilled with the stories in Green Lantern and Green Lantern Corps. I know this is going to be a huge story-line, and I couldn't wait to get home and get a little preview about what's coming up. First of all, I was thrilled to see that Ivan Reis will be drawing. Of course Geoff John's scripts will be incredible to, but . . I was disappoint when Ivan was taken off the GL book. Now . . now I know why. It looks like Geoff and Ivan have a heck of a ride prepared for us. This particular story was about Hal and Barry catching up, a bit. Currently I think Ivan is 'The' GL artist. But, I have to say . . he may be 'The' Flash artist also. The way he draws Barry throughout this story is incredible. He even gives is a bit of a Neal Adams influence. In the back we get some pages of descriptions of the various Corps. We see some of the upcoming members to some of them, including the Blue Lanterns. But what really intrigued me was the Indigo Tribe. We know little to nothing of them so far. So I was thrilled to see at least what they look like. Their emotion is 'compassion'. We also get a preview of the Black Lantern Corps. The only 2 members that we see so far are Black Hand and Scar. The rest of them are just hands punching through the dirt like restless corpses. If you know your uniforms, you might recognize a few of the hands. And finally, we get a checklist of the books that will be out this summer. On top of the Blackest Night mini, there's also, Blackest Night: Tales of the Corps, Blackest Night: Batman, Blackest Night: Superman, and Blackest Night: Titans. That's along with the regular Green Lantern and Green Lantern Corps books. Man . . it's gonna be a hell of a summer. I can't wait.

No comments:

Post a Comment