Wednesday, May 06, 2009

the Mighty #4 - DC


So far, I'm enjoying this series. I definitely think that it's an interesting twist on the whole 'super-hero' genre. Up to now it's been pretty up beat. Well, except for the couple of deaths, but . . those were inevitable, all just part of the story. Right? Well . . I'm starting to think that there's a dark side to all of this. We just haven't seen it yet. But I think it's right around the corner. We see this issue, as has been hinted in the past, that maybe Alpha One has a secret that he's trying to hide. He gets a little 'twitchy' after saving some people from a chemical fire at a refinery. Plus I think there's more to the relationship between him and Cole than we're necessarily seeing here. He seemed to warm up to Cole, his new boss, awful fast. I'm not sure yet, but . . there's just something 'off' there. It almost seems to be bordering on obsessive or 'stalker'-ish, even. But, I may be reading to much into it. We'll see what happens. Two things though confuse me a bit. First Cole's wife calls Alpha One, behind Cole's back, to talk to him. She's doing it out of concern for her husband. But Alpha One immediately assumes that she's hitting on him. "I understand. Arthur, Guinevere, Lancelot . . it's a tale as old as time. You feel conflicted." She quickly puts him in his place, "Wait a minute . . the job is dangerous and I worry about him. Save those smooth pick-up lines and make damn sure my husband doesn't end up like Michael Shaw." That was Cole's predecessor. But I'm not sure how Alpha One was left feeling about that whole exchange. Secondly, at the end of the book, it appears that Alpha One sets up a series of events. First he seems to blow the tires off a tanker truck causing a huge accident on the freeway. Then, in the melee, he saves a girl out of a burning car, and replaces her with another so it'll look like she died there. "Try not to squirm, citizen. I'd regret it if you were to fall to your end. You have a much grander destiny to fulfill." As he flies off, we see that cars are burning and people are on fire. What's that all about? I really like the way that Peter J Tomasi and Keith Champagne are handling this series. So far they seem to be keeping their secrets pretty close to the vest. But we're getting hints. Hints that everything may not be all 'peachy-keen' here. I've definitely been intrigued by this one. I'll be interested to see where it all goes.

No comments:

Post a Comment