Wednesday, May 13, 2009

Secret Six #9 - DC


This was an interesting little one-shot story. Cat-man, Bane and Rag-doll have gone to Gotham to try to catch someone who is abducting the children of some very rich people. Actually Cat-man had picked up the contract. The hilarious part of the story, and the tie-in to Battle for the Cowl, comes in the banter between Thomas and Bane. They both spend the entire issue ribbing each other about how 'secretly' they would each like to have a shot at wearing the cowl. Both of them know that it'll never happen, but . . I think deep down they both wonder what it would be like, even if just for a little while, to have that much clout and moxy. The dialogue between them was hilarious. And then . . throw in the Rag-doll on top of it . . "Never fear, old chum! The he/she wonder is on the case! Holy capital punishment or some such!" With the other 2 both playing, and ribbing at Batman the whole issue, Rag-doll spends it in a mock Robin costume the whole time. Finally, at the end, after they've taken down pretty much this whole gang, Nightwing shows up to scold them for their action. They have been leaving a wake of bodies in their path after all. "I have wounded to tend to, and this isn't the only crime going down in Gotham tonight. So, let's imagine that I didn't see the 3 of you here, tonight. Let's imagine you hit the road before I turn around. But just so you know . . you're now on my radar." Thomas is pissed, but Bane stops him from saying or doing anything he might regret, and they take their leave. But that doesn't stop him from grumbling, "The sanctimony. It gets me every time. No one gave them that power. They just took it. They always take it. I see that sneer. And I hear that contempt. And I remember why I hate those little dictators! One saves a terrorist, one kills a terrorist. Who did more for the world in the end?" I really like the 'anti-hero' status of these characters. There's a spot in the issue, where one of the kidnappers is holding a kid at gunpoint and says, "Back off, heroes! Back off!" Thomas looks at Bane and says, "Heroes? You think he means us?" To which Bane replies, "The definition is extraordinarily fluid. He could well be." What a fantastic line. I think Gail Simone is doing a tremendous job here. I also think Nicola Scott is doing a good job. I especially like the cover. If you aren't reading this book . . this is definitely one that's worth giving a shot. It's got good characters, great dialogue, interesting stories, and some stellar artwork. What's not to like?

No comments:

Post a Comment