Wednesday, May 06, 2009

Solomon Grundy #3 - DC


This book is interesting, although . . a bit confusing. I thought I pretty much understood the Solomon Grundy character, but . . I'm not sure that I understand what this character is going through. I know that Alan Scott is trying to stop/help Solomon Grundy by trying to break the cycle. He's trying to break the cycle of violence, and he's trying to find out who originally killed Cyrus Gold. That's the man that was killed and dumped in the swamp and, whatever the essence is that is Solomon Grundy attached itself to. Alan has surmised if he can find his killer, and get Solomon/Cyrus to forgive him, than he may be able to move past this cycle. Personally, I think that's a pipe-dream. The process seems to be as ingrained in this beings life and essence as is breathing. It's just what he does . . what happens . . he's born, he dies, and he's reborn again. I don't really think he can control what happens or how. Plus he just can't seem to get past these murderous rages. However, some of that may be coming from the Cyrus character. It appears that he wasn't a very good person in his life. It looks like he murdered various members of his family and dumped their bodies in the swamp. So maybe, what happened to him is just retribution. And if so, it's probably not in his purview to change that. Meanwhile, this series . . 7 issues, for the 7 days of the week . . the 7 verses in the rhyme . . appear to be set up to show us the various stages and emotions that this character goes through. At the end of this issue he goes after Allen by attacking his home. Unfortunately, the only one there is Molly. I'm also wondering . . how is Etrigan attached to this character? We've seen him before with Solomon, and he shows up in one frame of this issue . . as if he's looking over him, watching him. Like I said, the book is interesting, but . . it definitely raises more questions than it answers. Really, the only reason I'm even buying it is because I'm a fan of Scott Kolins. He's writing and drawing this book. So I thought I'd give it a shot. Maybe it'll make more sense as we move along, but right now . . I'm a bit confused.

No comments:

Post a Comment