Wednesday, May 20, 2009

Fantastic Four #566 - Marvel


I think instead of titling this book the Fantastic Four, we should title it the Fantastic Mark Millar. I really think that would be just as appropriate. I can't believe the ideas and concepts that Mark comes up with for this book. It's . . . fantastic! This issue the team, and Doom, are both heavy with anticipation for the arrival of Doom's master. To that end, Reed investigates what was thought to be a whale beached up on the shore. That was until they saw it's feet, and sandals. It turns out there's a dead Watcher washed up on the shores of Thailand. However, it's not Uatu, but rather a Watcher from another dimension. Reed discovers that during the autopsy. During all of this, Ben is having trouble with Debbie's ex. It turns out that he's trying to profit off of his ex-girlfriends foray into super-hero romance, by writing a book. But, in sticking up for his fiance's honor, he may have done more harm by scaring her. We'll have to see how this all washes out. Then, in Latveria, Doom heralds the arrival of his master . . and the new apprentice. He informs Doom, "Am I happy with your progress? Does it please me that your name reverberates around this world as the greatest villain who ever lived? NO! I look around and see much wealth and happiness. I hear the heartbeats of enemies who have beaten you time after time. I smell defeat upon your flesh. So much promise that has amounted to nothing. In truth, your failure disgusts me. You rule a time kingdom I have never even heard of. After twenty years. Your foes deserve a new menace Victor . .", and with that he incinerates him inside of his armor. That was a pretty powerful ending. This series has really come leaps and bounds since Mark's control of the scripts. I'm not taking anything away from anything that's come before. There have been some great runs on this book. But, you have to admit, this is probably going to go down as one of the best runs ever. It really is fantastic. Of course, it doesn't hurt that Bryan Hitch is turning in some incredible looking pages. Every issue leaves me screaming for the next.

No comments:

Post a Comment