Wednesday, May 20, 2009

Vigilante #6 - DC


This is another book that ends . . not at all how I expected. I mean, I didn't really expect them to rehabilitate Joey. There's an awful lot of build-up here, and Joey's kind of been an enigma for a couple of years now. His recent actions, and what happened during DC Universe: Decisions series just further emphasizes how gone he really is. So no . . I didn't expect them to just patch things up and slip him into therapy or anything. I think his issues go a heck of a lot deeper than any 'quick-fix' could've remedied. Also, I didn't really expect them, or Vigilante, to kill him. First of all, the Titans aren't killers. Even when there doesn't seem to be any other course of events. And Vigilante? Well . . Vigilante is a killer, but . . he has a more specific target. It really seems like he tries to avoid collateral damage as much as possible. Although he has been after Joey for a while, he had a completely different reason than the Titans . . the Titans wanted to save a friend. Anyways, as we guessed, last issue the Titans weren't really killed. It was all an illusion perpetuated by Raven. And it's not really his father, Slade, that he's fighting in the park. It's actually M'gann trying to contain his rage and flight. However, between the Titans and Vigilante they do end up bringing him down. Of course they have to put a mask over his head to hamper his powers. Vigilante wants to kill him, I think, but Rose insists that he promised her that he wouldn't. Then Cyborg shows up, because he's worried about his friends. He heard the footage on TV and it brought him out of his coma at the hospital. The Titans are happy to see him but in the confusion, Vigilante slips away. Well not totally, he disguises himself as one of the officers that drives Joey away. They make a stop and Vigilante cuts Joey's eyes out. I really didn't see that one coming. And . . it doesn't seem to have helped Joey with the whole 'voices in the head' thing. I guess that's one way to end it, but . . it really wasn't something that I would've guessed. Well, maybe the Titans will be able to get him into therapy afterall now. Oh yeah, we also learn some more about Vigilante this issue. It appears that his father-in-law is one of the crime-bosses in town. Vigilante is worried because the cops are getting closer to figuring out who he is. He's been begging JJ for a new dermaplas face. However, JJ hasn't finished it yet, "You came here for Huang and he's dead. We can leave and hide 'til it's ready." But Vigilante hasn't completed his plans yet, " I can't . . you know I came to New York to tear apart the mobs from the head down. My SOB father-in-law included." So, gradually, we're getting closer to figuring out who he is. I've like this whole Deathtrap storyline. I'm glad that they brought Joey back, even if it was to turn him into a villain. But we've gone down this road before, with Raven, Terra, Rose, even Garfield I think once. This one was handled a lot differently, and the ending wasn't anything like the others. I thought Marv Wolfman and Tom Lyle did a great job with this book. Anyways, things can get back to normal for the Vigilante next month, and hopefully we'll learn some more secrets about our lead character.

No comments:

Post a Comment