Tuesday, March 11, 2008

American Virgin #23 - Vertigo


Well . . I knew this was the last issue in this series. But . . it certainly didn't end the way I expected it to. Last issue, or 2, we saw our whole gang end up in Cuba. They were going there to see Adam's real father. But, of course, Mel had another reason for being there. Mamie had a heart-attack, but Vanessa stepped up to the plate and saved her life. Adam had a heart to heart with his father, who was a Father. He then decided to do their marriage the right way, in front of god, and had his father officiate. That's where this issue picks up. Adam is on his honeymoon, about to finally consummate his marriage, when Mel shows up at his door. Adam doesn't want anything to do with his plan to go to the Dominican Republic after Batu Balan's leader, Uqbah. That was the terrorist group that killed his first girlfriend, in Africa, way back in the 1st issue. But Mel won't take no for an answer, so he drugs him and drags him off. On his way there, during his non-coherent moments, Adam is having a lot of conversations with god. Long story short, they find the hut, Ugbah is in it, but Mel gets hurt so Adam's going to have to do it. They have the guy tied up, and Adam has a gun to his head. But then Adam starts talking to him about his mission in life, and how he's serving his god. But you know what? I'm not going to tell you how it ends. I had a hard time with this book, way back in the early issues. I didn't really like the art, and I was having a hard time getting in to the story. But you know what? I stuck with it to the end. I didn't always like it, but I did finish it. So, if you want to know how it ends, you'll either have to go out and buy an issue, or wait for the TPB to come out. I'm sure it won't be longer than 6 or 8 months. I will admit that Steven Seagle wrote a very compelling story. I'm sorry it had to go, but sometimes the smaller titles have to be let go to make room for the new ones. My guy told me he was only ordering 2 or 3 copies a month. That's not very good. Pick up the TPB, give it a once over. You may be surprised.

No comments:

Post a Comment