Saturday, March 22, 2008

Deathblow #9 - WildStorm


I enjoy this series. I really do. And Deathblow is one of my favorite WildStorm characters. However, on this story, I think they got "out there" a little bit with this whole US and THEM story-line. Don't get me wrong. I think Brian Azzarello is a genius. I just think they kind of took this character in a different direction than what we're normally used to seeing him in. Which, again, is fine. The WildStorm universe was reborn not to long ago, and long time characters weren't necessarily go in the same direction as before. Believe me, I'm all about change. The more you shake things up . . the better. But, that being said, I just think that this direction didn't quite fit this character the way they wanted it to. Do you know what I mean? He just seemed a bit . . out of his element. But now, at the end of this story . . . he's finally dead. Or I should say . . dead again. We'll have to wait and see if it sticks this time though. However, there may be some future story-lines coming out of this one too. In the end, Michael blows up this bomb that's a gen-activator. So, in the aftermath, there's all kinds of hero's and villains popping up around the city. I really liked this book. But, it looks like this may be the end . . for the foreseeable future. I'm sure we'll see Brian and Carlos D'Anda in other books. Their talent is just to big to not show up someplace else. So far now, I guess we'll say goodbye to Michael. But as his friend at the end of the book says, as he's talking to his grave-stone, "Fer a man like you? Death blows Mistah Cray . . . ."

No comments:

Post a Comment