Tuesday, March 11, 2008

100 Bullets #88 - Vertigo


What a fantastic book. I'm just sad that it's almost over. What? You hadn't heard that? Well, from what I understand, they're either just now into, or getting ready to start, their final story-line. But, you know, from the way Brian puts his stories together, that could still be another 10 or 12 issues. But . . I have a feeling it's not going to be quite that long. Either way, it'll be a sad day when this series disappears off the shelves. But I'm starting to see both of them, Brian and Eduardo, in other places. So I gotta' think that they probably already have the rest of them "in the can", as it were. This issue was actually kind of sad. We see this story where these kids in Seattle just happen to be in the wrong place at the wrong time. One of them gets shot and killed. They catch the killer but when questioned, he says "He was in my way. I didn't know him from the hole in the head I gave him." Anyways, we also see Burns going after the painting. Branch is with him. But while Burns is in getting it, Branch is out sitting on the bench on the boardwalk. When Burns returns, he's dead. I think the parallel is that he was killed, simply, because he was "in the way". I'm not sure what awards Brian Azzarello and Eduardo Risso have won for this series, but whatever it was . . . it wasn't enough. This series has been incredible, and intense, ever since issue #1. And while there were a couple of issues in the middle that seemed like they kind of wandered a bit . . overall, through this entire run, they have kept up the same emotion and intensity with every issue. This is easily one of the best books on the shelves right now. If you've never picked it up . . your loss. If you have . . you know what I'm talking about. I absolutely love it!

No comments:

Post a Comment