Friday, March 14, 2008

the Mighty Avengers #9 - Marvel


Ok, it appears as if this title is going to be back on track sooner than I thought. Mark Bagley has come on board as the new penciller, and we all know how well he and Brian Bendis work together. So we should be back to normal in no time here. Also, I think, Mark is doing a fantastic job. I really like the feel that he gave the Ultimate Spider-man, but, he's shifted up his style a little bit for this book. The first couple pages where we see Dr Doom at the end of a tryst with Morgan Le Fey, are fantastic looking. He's done them with more of a painted style. As for Dr Doom? Well, if you had a time platform, why wouldn't you use it to go back in the past and have an affair? Just think of all the beautiful women you could visit when they're young and in their prime. I know. That's a misuse of power . . but . . it would be tempting. Anyways, I guess he's been doing it to learn some magic spells. But this trip is cut short because the Avengers have arrived in Latveria. And just to show the intensity of the battle, in the middle of this book, there's 3 two-page spreads showing all the fighting and carnage that's going on. Long story short, Tony gets in to a heated battle with Victor but as both their armors deplete in power, Doom switches over to the magics that he's learned. Seeing that he's at a disadvantage Carol sends in Bob to try to tip the scales. But all they really end up doing is breaking Doom's time platform, but not before all 3 of them are sucked in. They've gone back in time, it looks like the 50's or 60's, but, they've also crossed dimensions. They seem to be in some type of comic book world. I'm just guessing, but I'm think it's the comic book world that Bob created when he disassociated himself from the Sentry. But that's just my guess. Anyways, the issue ends with Doom threatening to kill Tony for what he's done to them. My only complaint about the whole issue is when Doom and Tony are fighting. They have little caption boxes showing the readings from each of their armors. Now maybe this is showing my age, but first the writing was so small I could hardly read it. And second the writing is a light grey on a bright yellow back-ground. It definitely didn't work for me. I almost couldn't read it. I really had to focus. I know it's a small complaint, but, it was a bit annoying. Anyways, other than that, I thought it was a great book. And I'm glad that we're finally going to be on track with the rest of the Marvel Universe. Good job guys!

No comments:

Post a Comment