Saturday, March 22, 2008

Blue Beetle #24 - DC


I have to say, I've really gotten in to this book in the last few issues. Which means it's probably close to being over. That's how it usually works for me. I gripe and complain through the beginning of a title. Usually because of whatever creative short-falls that I see. But then there comes a point where I actually start to like the character, and get in to the story. But then the book's cancelled. But I won't be dismayed yet as the book is being advertised through issue #28, at least for now. So, it doesn't look like they're planning on cancelling it, but . . . I'm just going by history. Anyways, Jamie has been taken on board the Reach ship. But he's been separated from his Scarab. Forcibly! However, before that happened, the Scarab downloaded all of it's information on the Reach into Jamie's head. So he uses that, plus what he's learned from Ted's journal's, to formulate a plan. Well, actually, he's formulated the plan but the Scarab's information helps him to accomplish it. But he is in a hurry because the Negotiator has sent troops out to finish his family also. But our story doesn't wrap up this issue. It appears that we're going to have to wait for the next one for that. This one has a fantastic cliff-hanger ending. I've been complaining about John Roger's stories, and Rafael Albuquerque's art this whole run. And while Rafael's art still doesn't thrill me . . I do have to admit he's been consistent, and I've come to expect a certain look to these stories. So whether I like it or not . . it is what it is. However, I also have to admit that John's stories, although sometimes confusing and misdirected, have come together quite nicely. He's introduced us, and got us to care about, this large supporting cast. And at the end of this book, they all come together to try to help protect Jamie's family. "Blue Beetle saved my family. We're just returning the favor." Now we just have to wait and see how Jamie going to beat this overpowering force. Kind of a David & Goliath type situation here.

No comments:

Post a Comment