Friday, March 14, 2008

Checkmate #23 - DC


This is the issue that finally tells us what's happened to Pawn #502. He's the guy that's gone deep undercover in to KOBRA. Greg Rucka and Eric Trautmann writes this book, and Joe Bennett does the pencils. I have to say, when Joe first came on board, I wasn't to thrilled with his style. But he seems to have adapted well to this title. And his style works great with the themes presented here. So now, I have to say, I think it's a pretty good fit. Also I think Greg and Eric are doing a fantastic job with these stories. They're doing just the right mix of character development, and "all-out" action. Plus I really like the way they've got Checkmate structured now. Before they put this series together, they must've done some major planning sessions, because I think it's brilliant how they have everything pieced together. This series is a huge step from it's previous incarnation. And I actually liked the old series. But you didn't get to know the characters as well. At least not all the individual ones. Essentially, this is a team-book, with Checkmate itself being the main character, and everyone else being it's supporting cast. Even Amanda Waller. But, she's gone now, so I'm not going to dwell on that subject. Anyways, long story short, Pawn #502 has been compromised and trying to not have a 100% casualty rate, they've deputized Superman. Which he really isn't to happy about. But he does get he pawn out, but he dies trying to give them some information. Now it looks as if Checkmate is going to have to go to war with KOBRA. This is going to get mighty messy. Overall though, I thought it was a great book.

No comments:

Post a Comment