Tuesday, March 11, 2008

Wonder Woman #17 - DC


This issue is the end of the Circle storyline. But it still leaves some things up in the air, so these Amazon warriors will be back. Gail Simone is doing the writing on this book now. I, personally, think she's doing a fantastic job. I just hope she'll be on this title for the foreseeable future. Her style lends itself well to this character. And right now, Terry and Rachel Dodson are still on the artistic chores. No one is more surprised than me that they're still around after 17 issues. Pleasantly surprised, mind you. I would've thought they would've bailed by now. I'm really not trying to talk bad of them, it's just that their talent is so huge, it's hard to keep them tied to on title for to long. You're always hearing about the next Terry Dodson project. He also has some creator-owned things going on, so . . he's a busy guy. But I'll say that I'm happy for the time that we get them. He helps to turn this book from average to incredible. Plus, I think, this is the first time he's worked with Gail. So far, I like what they've done together. This particular story-line goes back to Diana's beginnings. Shortly before she was born, Hippolyta had chosen for Amazons to be her personal guard. At the time, there were no babies on Themyscira. When they found out what Hippolyta had planned, they convinced themselves that it would be the downfall of the Amazons. They tried to get rid of her shortly after she was born, but they couldn't bring themselves to do it. Now, with the recent upheaval, and attacks from various directions, they've decided to finish the task. Plus Hippolyta is in a weakened state. Of course they fail, and 3 of their group are taken in to custody. But Alkyone, alone, escapes. I'm sure that's not the last we've seen of her. On the final pages of this book we see the return of Etta. Overall I thought it was a fantastic book. I really like what they've done so far in this chapter of Diana's life. I just hope our creative staff stays stable for quite a while.

No comments:

Post a Comment