Sunday, March 16, 2008

Birds of Prey #115 - DC


Well, this issue, Babs learns what it's like to have 2 teenage girls in the house. She's had a house full of women. Actually, that's usually what it is. But right now, the 2 girls are both teenagers, and Babs is pretty much dealing with it on her own. A couple of issues ago, Misfit, literally, popped in. She's a huge fan of Babs, and really wants to grow up to be Batgirl. I don't think she already knows there's a Batgirl and Batwoman out there. But Babs worries about how impulsive she is. She's had absolutely no training, with her powers or otherwise, and she just always tries way to hard to prove herself. Black Alice is someone, from Dayton Ohio, that the Birds came across about 40 issues or so ago. We've seen her a couple of times, and she was in one of the Dr Fate cross-over books. But between being a teenager, having incredible magical powers thrust on her, and losing her mom . . she's had some . . behavioral and, probably, hormonal issues. But . . she's on medication now. You know what they say, if pills don't help . . up the dosage. Ha-ha! Just kidding. But seriously, she is more . . level . . right now. So she's decided that she wants to join the group. She just showed up last issue. But now Babs has to figure out first how to use these girls, and second how to get them to work together. Actually, her first dilemma, I imagine, is to train them. Give them some kind of discipline and rule set. I mean . . they're motivated. She has the upper hand, because she has what they want. But, they also want to be their own person. Oh yeah, apparently Misfit's powers are magic based. One of Black Alice's powers is the ability to absorb the talents of others. Her and Babs are trying to do this when Misfit interrupts them. And instead of the intended target, Black Alice absorbs Misfits powers. It'll be interesting to see how this all works out. Meanwhile, Huntress and Zindy have gone off after the Killer Shark. We get a little of the back story on the relationship between the Shark and Zindy. Mostly, he's kind of a stalker. He would capture her, drug her, and then turn her in to Queen Killer Shark. This obvious abuse is really starting to tick off Helena. But at the end of this issue, after having been knocked out, Helena wakes up to find a willing Zindy dressed up in the Queen Shark outfit. So far, I think, Sean McKeever is doing an interesting job with these characters. And really, right now, these 5 are the core of the group. Also Nicola Scott is the penciller. She's been on the book for . . . well, since issue #100. I gotta' give her props because I think she's really coming in to her own. She was pretty decent when she first started, but now, she's bordering on pretty amazing. The underwater scenes of Huntress and Zindy swimming through the eel infested trap were pretty spectacular looking. This is one of my favorite team books, and I'm glad to see that it's in good hands.

2 comments:

  1. A friend just pointed out your review to me. I'm glad you're liking the title and I'm really glad you like my work but I just thought I'd let you know; I'm a girl.

    Cheers,
    Nicola.

    ReplyDelete
  2. First of all...thanks for taking a look. Also..tell your friend I said thanks. Secondly...my bad! I've gone back and fixed everything. And I'd like to apologize. For what it's worth,I really do think you're an incredible talent, and are improving every issue. Thanks for the comment..and thanks for your creativity!

    ReplyDelete