Saturday, March 29, 2008

Justice League - the New Frontier Special #1 - DC


This book was . . . interesting. I'm just not thrilled with this whole retro thing. I understand the interest in the nostalgic part of it. And I'm sure there's a lot of people that wonder what the books of the 40's or 50's looked like. It was a simpler time that was reflected in it's stories and heroes. It's nice to take a look for a second. A "blast from the past", if you will. But in the end, I hate to admit, it was all kind of boring. The 3 subjects they picked, I think, gave us a pretty well rounded view of the early DC Universe. They show the formation of the friendship between Superman, Wonder Woman and Batman. With, of course Batman being the wild-card. But you knew how it was going to end. This particular story, I feel, had the best "old-style" look to it. The next story focused on Robin, and the beginnings of the Teen Titans. This story, of course, had to have kind of a 60's vibe to it. It also featured Wally and an appearance by President Kennedy. It was neat . . if rather predictable. But any story that features a young Dick Grayson in action, can't be all bad. And the final story featured the female side of the hero business. It was with Wonder Woman and Black Canary. I probably liked this one the least. It was written and drawn . . way over the top. It's theme was the degradation of women in the . . 50's or 60's, I believe. And then in the back of the book, they give us a bunch of glimpse's of the artwork from the DVD, Justice League the New Frontier. Which I have to say, unfortunately, I haven't seen yet, because I'm having a hard time finding it. I might just have to make a trip to Best-Buy this weekend. Anyways, overall I liked the book. I just thought it was a bit boring . . and predictable.

No comments:

Post a Comment