Tuesday, January 23, 2007

the Spirit #1 - DC


I want to like this book. I really do. I mean we're talking Will Eisner's legacy here. I just, for some reason, have a hard time swollowing all this '50s style stuff. I mean, I want to give Bone and Darwyn Cooke props for maintaining Eisner's style and feel. I just don't know that it is a marketable commodity in today's sophisticated market. And I know that that may all sound like bullshit, but on some level you know that it's the truth. I would really like to see this book succeed. I just don't know if there's enough people out there that really care enough to make it a success. I know, some people hate me right now for saying this, because they love this style of book, or have put Will Eisner on such a pedestal that he's like unto a god. But, how many of there are you out there? Are there enough of you to keep a book like this afloat? Are there enough of you to create a demand for something, that until now, hasn't been addressed because there wasn't? I truly hope I'm wrong. I like the story and the art in this book. It's just not my cup of tea. I'm sure I'll continue buying it, because I want to see where they go with it. But, I really don't feel that it'll be around for that long. Yes it's a great homage to a brilliant talent. But, I just don't know how marketable it is now. If you want to prove me wrong, please do! And I'll let you know if my feelings change after the second issue.

No comments:

Post a Comment