Monday, January 15, 2007

Detective #826 - DC


Ok, I have to admit, Paul Dini is gaining favor in my book. I guess I was just so used to him writing the "Johnny DC" books, that I felt that his stories here were just as one dimensional. However, as time goes by, with this book, his stories I feel are improving. It still seems like they're all one issue stories. But, maybe that's what they're shooting for here. And Don Kramer, seems like he gets better and better with every issue. Wasn't a huge fan before, but, the more I see of him, the more I like him. Of course the colorist of this book helps a lot too. Very vibrant! In this issue, Robin is chasing some gang, and it just seems like things aren't going his way this nite. That is until, when he seems out of options, a mini-van stops to help him out. Maybe his luck is turning. Until he finds out the Joker is driving the van. So there's some flashbacks of him, Bruce and Dick working together. And the dialogue between Tim and the Joker is great. "I just happened to be out, enjoying the holiday atmosphere when I saw you with those thugs on your tail. So I thought "Hey, the kid's in trouble. Why not cut him a break?" I mean we never do this . . . just hang out. We're always trying to, I don't know . . . . . . is "destroy each other" to melodramatic?" The Joker tells him this as he's duck taped, tied up with Christmas lights and has an ornament shoved in his mouth in the passenger seat. But Tim stays calm. He knows that eventually the Joker will let him talk because he loves the banter. He waits for the perfect moment and then hits him with a Marx Brother's quote. "You can't fool me. There ain't no sanity claus." Then he gets him all flustered because Tim remembers what movie it's from, but Joker gets it mixed up. Or vice versa. But either way when he gets flustered, Tim makes his break. Of course he gets free, but Joker is knocked off the bridge by a passing truck, and he and Batman can't find his body. All in all a pretty decent book. But, the fantastic cover didn't hurt much either.

No comments:

Post a Comment