Saturday, February 24, 2007

Manhunter #25,#26,#27 - DC


Ok, I did all three of these books together, because this is a series that I don't normally read. But, with Wonder Woman and the Blue Beetle involved, it was a little hard to pass it up. So I figured I'd just read all 3, and see what I thought of the story. This series ends with issue 30, so if I like it, I'll read it to the end. If not, then I at least have the issues with Wonder Woman and Blue Beetle. Plus I need to get to know the character, since she'll be joined the Birds of Prey here pretty soon. And, I'm still a sucker for the secret crossover. What can I say? Anyways, the story is OK. I just have a hard time figuring out all the characters, when it's not a series I usually follow. There's a lot of characters in this book also. Kate is the main character, obviously. She's a lawyer and she's Manhunter. Then there's her son Ramsey. She has a best friend Julie and her husband, Peter. Her Grandfather is Iron Munro. Their best friends are a gay couple, Todd and Kieth. Todd also happens to be Obsidian. They also have another couple that they hang out with, Cameron Chase and Dylan. Cameron has powers, but I'm not sure what they are. Sorry. Like I said, I just picked up the series. And Dylan was a key witness in a trial when he turned states evidence, so he's in witness protection. A very unique cast of characters. Anyways at the end of issue 25, Wonder Woman shows up because she wants Kate to be her lawyer. It's a year later, but the govt. wants to do a grand jury investigation in to her killing of Maxwell Lord. Diana can't pay her right now, so all Kate asks for in return is training. Issue 26 is partly about her training, and partly about their friendship unfolding. Issue 27 is mostly about the grand jury. She's also training Diana, sort of, on how to appear confident to the public, and also appear that she has nothing to hide. She's also showing her how to deal with paparazzi. Then at the end of issue 27, Kate is outside the courthouse holding an impromptu press conference, when the Beetle ship comes flying overhead, and down on a rope comes the Blue Beetle, Ted Kord. Isn't he dead? He says he heard Diana was in trouble and he wanted to see if he could help. The story is pretty decent. It's written by Marc Andreyko. The inside pencils are also pretty decent. They're done by Javier Pina and Fernando Blanco. They're a team that seems to work together very well. These 3 issues also sport some great covers by Jesus Saiz, Art Adams and Howard Chaykin. All in all I'd have to give them an A-. I'll read the next couple issues and let you know what I think after that.

No comments:

Post a Comment