Sunday, February 24, 2008

X-Men - First Class #8 - Marvel


This was an interesting story. It was the teams first encounter with the Man-Thing. It still all had to do with the alien presence that took away their powers last issue. Apparently, when the rocket it was located in, was launched, it passed over the Man-Thing's swamp. When it did so, it caused some kind of dimensional portals or nexus or something. Charles sends the team in to investigate and somehow a few of them get shunted off to different dimensions. That's when the Man-Thing shows up. Apparently, because of his simpler brain, and physiology, somehow he can hone in on, and walk into, these various dimensions. So, without his help, some of the members would've been stuck . . elsewhere. I still liked the story. I just didn't think it was as good as previous issues. Jeff Parker is still doing the scripts. But, on this issue, Eric Nguyen does the art. It's . . ok. It's a little to . . bright . . for my tastes. I know. You're thinking, "What the hell does he mean by that?". Well, pick up the book, and you'll see exactly what I mean. Whomever did the coloring . . . it looks like afterwards they white-washed every page. I'm not sure what the effect was that this was supposed to give the story. But, it really did nothing for me. I'll still but the book. But . . it seems like it's changing a bit. It's already starting to get away from that upbeat attitude it had in the beginning. We'll see how it goes though. And now I see that there's a Wolverine - First Class series coming out. Very interesting!

No comments:

Post a Comment