Friday, February 29, 2008

Batman Confidential #12 - DC


The thing I really liked about this issue, is that it showed how essentially Batman is responsible for the Joker. No he doesn't make him do the things he does, but, without the Batman's influence, this guy would've just been another nickle and dime thug. But the Batman gave him delusions of grandeur. And really, Bruce knows that it's his own fault. I think that's why he fights so hard when he does go after the Joker. He feels that he's paying for previous sins. Plus I like how this story-arc showed the guy that became the Joker, going from a common ordinary thug, to psychotic lunatic that he became. He started out just looking for the thrill. But each thrill became less and less intoxicating. He kept having to up the ante. Finally, I think, it became more about connecting with the Bat than necessarily the crime. He puts Batman in a no win situation, but shortly before, he drugs him. So as his adrenaline pumps, the drugs start to kick in, and he's confused about what's going on. "That's right. Laugh a little. Come on in. See all the silly. You must be feeling it now . . . malaise melting . . . thin skin ignored . . . and all those lovely colors. My gift, Batman. You showed me a world worth living in. I had to share it . . I had to show you . . . there's a bunny in the moon for anyone willing to see it." I mean he had to have know that there was no way the Batman was going to let him get away, and there was no way the Batman would kill him or let him die. So before he became incarcerated, he just wanted to make sure he gave the Batman something to think about. And it worked. I thought it was a great book by Michael Green and Denys Cowan. I really like the way this title can go back into the history of the Bat and show us key moments. I think it's a great title.

No comments:

Post a Comment