Sunday, February 10, 2008

Justice League of America #17 - DC


Ok . . . I like the book. Ed Benes never looked better . . . art wise that is. And look at that awesome Ethan Van Sciver cover. But . . . you could probably see that coming, huh? . . . I really think . . and I hate to criticize a new creative team . . but I really think that it's lost something with the feel of the stories. I know. All writers are different. And different writers bring different things to the table. But, seriously . . . I'm not sure if this is going to make sense . . . but now, the book reads like a comic. By that I mean . . the conversation is kind of forced, and the book relies on action to keep the interest going. Before, under Brad Meltzer, the character interaction was just as interesting, if not more, than the story. It also seemed like the character interaction and development was actually the basis of the story. Yes, there was usually some action going on too, but that seemed more like a by-product of the situation, or setting they were in. But, the interaction between characters never stopped. Like in real life. It seems more like comic book conversation now. Does that make sense? I mean, I'll give Alan Burnett and Dwayne McDuffie props. They're both good writers. But, following up Brad . . . it's a hard road to hoe. Maybe they're just trying to get a feel for the characters. I mean, they've only been on the book for about 4 issues now. So . . I should give it a little more of a chance before I start criticizing. But . . I thought this book was one of the best books on the rack last year. I'd just really like to see the momentum continue forward. Rather than taking a step backward. I do like the way they're doing the backup stories though. It gives them to focus on a different character that maybe didn't make an appearance in the main story. I also like Jon Boy Meyers style. It's fresh and fun. It kind of reminds me of early J Scott Campbell. Anyways, with this story, the JLA finally starts to get some information on what's going on with all the villains . . . and Suicide Squad. Well . . . at least what Amanda Waller will reveal. I still like the book. I just hope the writers start getting their groove on.

No comments:

Post a Comment