Friday, February 29, 2008

the Trials of SHAZAM! #11 - DC


I have to say, when Howard Porter left this series, and Mauro Cascioli came on board . . I was a bit concerned. I'm a huge Howard fan, and I really like the way he started this series. But, after a few issues of Mauro's work . . . I've really come around. This guy is fantastic. And he really is getting better and better every issue. Some of the panels in this particular issue, are simply stunning. Right from the very first page, his stuff jumps right out at you. And the last page? The picture of the JLA? It's would be worthy of Alex Ross. Yes it's that good. Freddy really seems to be taking control of his situation. I guess it's that wisdom of Solomon thing kicking in. He's always been kind of a joke of a character. Not to be mean. But . . he really has. Not the brightest bulb in the pack. But this series is going to turn all of that around. Last issue, he and Sabina started their search for Mercury. He's been in hiding. Freddy asks for the help of DC's magical constituent, Zatanna and Shadowpact, but he really doesn't think they're going to be effective. "They're not going to find him. They play to fair." But, he has to cover all of his bases. Sabina, on the other hand, decides to take the more direct approach. The Gods have been living in hiding in human form. So she gets Mercury's kids and threatens them. He has no choice but to come out of hiding. By the time Freddy and Billy arrive on the scene, she has already stolen his powers from him. So now, she's at least as strong as Freddy. But . . they still have Zeus to worry about. His power will be the deciding factor in this little war of magic. But of course that's going to be left for next issue. And, as I eluded to before, Freddy's not going to take any chances. He's called in the JLA to help him on this one. "Zeus will never give her power. Not willingly. She will try to magically compel him to do it. She will conjure a spell. An old one. A blood spell. A sacrifice. She needs to kill one million people. This is why I called all of you. Shadowpact is on the job, and some other magical heavy hitters. But . . . this is a war of magic, but . . . I wanted you all here. I need your help." To which Superman replies, "It's okay Freddy . . . just tell us what you need us to do." And with that, the final issue . . is going to be epic. My only complaint is that this 12 issue series, has now dragged out to almost 18 months. But, the finished product has been excellent the whole time, so . . I guess I can't complain to much. This is a fantastic book. A great series and storyline. And one of my favorite characters in the DC Universe. I really hope he gets his own book after this.

No comments:

Post a Comment