Wednesday, July 22, 2009

Wednesday Comics #3 - DC

I'm left again, feeling kind of flat about this one. I appreciate the art . . and the effort. I think the thing that troubles me the most is that we get so little with each chapter . . a couple of them I'm just reading to read . . the story really has no meaning for me. It's great that Azzarello & Risso have taken on another project together. And it's fantastic that it's Batman. Kamandi and Hawkman's stories fit in perfect with this format. I love Bermejo's work on Superman, but . . I don't know where the story is going. Deadman is one of my favorite characters and this story I'm actually keeping track of, but . . after 3 issues we've gotten . . Deadman wants to help out a girl in trouble by inhabiting her attacker . . Rama Kushna doesn't want him to do that and punishes him . . he's now in human form but also in mortal danger. There's not much info for each chapter. The same can be said for Green Lantern. The first chapter we didn't even see him, just his Ferris Aircraft co-workers. The second he's Green Lantern, but his supporting cast is nowhere around. Now he shows up at the bar, sees that an old colleague is in trouble on TV, and takes off as Green Lantern. Metamorpho is the worst. It's just one giant splash page. We see Stagg and Rex talking, and that's about it. The Teen Titans are ok, but . . it's moving very slowly. I've given up on Wonder Woman. I know that she's having dreams where she crosses over into man's world. The dreams are prophetic and having actual consequences, but . . so far it's a boring story. I'm enjoying Strange Adventures by Paul Pope. And I'm not even a huge fan. I'm also enjoying Supergirl and Metal Men. Both of them are progressing . . a bit speedier than the other stories. Sgt Rock is another one that fits this format perfectly. Flash is a bit confusing, but it's a neat story. And Catwoman is suffering some Demon trouble. It's interesting, but we haven't got to the heart of the story yet. And that's everything. To me, I can't really blame the creators because I think they're really doing their best and putting in the effort. Unfortunately, they're just so limited with the format. And, if you think about it, these are really nothing more than back-up stories. Even if they collect everything at the end, and put it in a format where you can read all of the pages together, there's still only going to be 12 pages per story. Like I said . . a back-up story. I think the frustrating part for me is that I want to like it. I really do. But, so far . . it's just not doing it for me. And . . I'm sorry. But I want to be honest also.

No comments:

Post a Comment