Wednesday, July 29, 2009

Dark Reign: the Sinister Spider-man #2 - Marvel

For some reason . . I find this comic weirdly entertaining. First of all I think that Mac Gargan is much more interesting than Eddie Brock. Secondly . . with Chris Bachalo doing the art on this book . . how could I not be thrilled with it? Right from the very beginning, when Mac writes in his notes . . "Thanks to my boss Norman Osborn cappin' the Skrull Queen during the Skrull Invasion, we all moved on-up to the Avengers Tower. They call me Spider-Man, I got a high-rise apartment, my own spaceship and all the strippers I can eat. It's pretty nifty." . . I can see that he has a dark sense of humor. He can't seem to leave J Jonah alone though, because he's the Mayor, and at the end of last issue he tossed a dead hooker into his bedroom at the mansion. He's also decided, much as the real Spider-Man did, to make his presence known in New York if for no other reason than to get under Jonah's craw. This issue he ends up pitting 2 gangs against each other. That appears to be his idea of cleaning up the streets. However, at the end of the issue, Jonah goes to Norman because he wants to have his own Avenger . . "I need a hero. An Avenger. To be the face of Crime-fighting in New York. Your 'American Son' didn't take too well." He's shooting for Ms Marvel, but of course he gets . . Spider-Man. This is funny on so many levels. First of all Jonah doesn't know that this isn't the real Spider-Man. For all he knows, this is the same one he's been giving grief to for all these years. Secondly he has no clue it's Mac, who seriously hates Jonah's guts. You can just see Jonah wincing through the press conference. Anyways, most of this issue, however, is spent introducing us to Dr Shep Gunderson / Redeemer and his group of misfits. We find out a little bit about each one this issue, what they have in common, and that the Redeemer has obtained some mechanized prosthetics to enable him to turn this group into an actual threat. He says he wants to 'save' Spider-Man. Yeah! Anyways, I like Brian Reed's story here. I know Mac is a demented psychopath, but . . he's actually making him a likable . . well, let's say tolerable character. I know in the end this story probably won't change or mean anything, but . . it's still fun.

No comments:

Post a Comment