Wednesday, July 01, 2009

Solomon Grundy #5 - DC


I don't know why, but I find myself with mixed feelings about this book . . and this series. Don't get me wrong, I think Scott Kolins is doing a great job. He's writing and drawing this one. I actually think it's the character that I'm just a little ambiguous about. I appreciate that Solomon Grundy is an important part of the Green Lanterns's history . . Jay's that is. And, apparently, Cyrus Gold has a past deeply embedded in Gotham City. Aside from that, I find myself not really caring so much about this character or what happens to him. The Phantom Stranger, along with the Spectre, are trying to break the curse or Cyrus' death, and resurrections. But they don't seem to be making a lot of progress. There's an interesting twist this issue when Professor Ivo sends one of his Amazo-bots to eliminate Solomon. During one of his resurrections, Solomon teamed up with Ivo and was trying to create a body for him to spend his immortality in. Apparently, immortality doesn't mean that your body doesn't go through all the usual problems and glitches that are accompanied with age . . diabetes, cancer, alzheimer's, arthritis, etc., etc.. So now Ivo is holding Solomon responsible for that failure. It appears that Amazo has eliminated him, however in the process the robot has absorbed the powers and aptitude of the swamp beast. He's basically an inorganic version of Solomon now. And, after the robot eliminates him, the swamp then swallows up the robot. Another resurrection does occur, but this time he's back as Cyrus. And, as we see on the final page, SHADE is there with Frankenstein to make sure that he doesn't run amok again. I don't know. Like I said, I appreciate Scott's work. I just find myself not really caring so much about what happens. But . . there's still 2 issue to go. So, maybe I'll find a little more meaning in the story, or the future of this character. I guess I'll have to wait and see.

No comments:

Post a Comment