Thursday, July 09, 2009

Superman: World of New Krypton #5 - DC

I have to say, James Robinson and Greg Rucka make a pretty good team on this book. Almost this entire issue was about Kal's trial for treason. He and his lieutenant, Asha Del-Nar disobeyed Zod's orders recently when they were ordered to kill the escaped prisoner Val-Ty. Kal suspected Zod's motives, but he disobeyed because . . he doesn't kill. Kal's defense tries to use Zod's history with the El family to their advantage, but in the end . . Kal admits, "I stopped her from carrying out your wishes. I know there was nothing treasonous in lieutenant Nar's intentions that day." Later, in his cell, knowing that he's facing certain prosecution the next day, he tells Nar "Standing by our principals in theory is easy. It's when we stand by them when we're tested that defines us. I will stand by mine." Tyr-Van, that guy that's been talking to Kal so much from the worker's guild, has a device to shut of the red-sun generator in Kal's cell, so he can escape. Kal doesn't stop him, but . . he also doesn't attempt escape. This perplexes Zod. Plus we find out that Van is actually a spy for Zod. This was Zod's way of testing Kal. The next day he's found guilty, but then Zod speaks up and asks for the religious guild to grant absolution. They have that power during Nova. Later when Kal asks him why, Zod tells him "I wanted justice served. But . . I also want my army to be strong. And whether I like it or not, I'm beginning to see that army is better for your being in it. The fact is, I knew without doubt that you were willing to die for Earth. Now I see that you're equally prepared to die for New Krypton." So anyways, they're having this huge celebration because of Nova, plus they're removing the dome over the city. The atmosphere has finally been balanced. The whole city is rejoicing . . and chanting Zod's name. Well . . all except the guy that comes running up on the podium and blasts Zod in the chest. "Death to Zod!" The issue ends looking like he's accomplished that. This is a fantastic series. James and Greg are both doing an incredible job, but so is Pete Woods on the pencils. I also like that these stories are taking us in emotional directions that I never expected from this series. I enjoy learning about the 'character' of our characters. We don't get that alot.

No comments:

Post a Comment