Wednesday, July 22, 2009

Avengers: the Initiative #26 - Marvel

Unfortunately, the reason it took me so long to post this one is . . I'm really not sure how it left me feeling. I think I'm starting to get enough of this whole 'Norman Osborn is the King of the Marvel Universe' thing. Enough is enough already. My only consolation is that eventually someone is going to turn on him and take him down. I mean, he's not really omnipotent or anything, he's just a man, so . . even though he believes he has absolute control, it's really all just an illusion . . an illusion of his own making, so he may actually be the sculptor of his own demise. It may be his alter-persona, the Green Goblin, that actually turns the tide on him. More and more it seems like it's taking all of his energy to keep that side of his personality in check. Anyways, with this issue Norman has securely cemented his role as the leader of the Initiative . . taken it under his wing, as it were. He's got the whole country thinking that the New Warriors are just a band of misfits and criminals . . that's rather ironic, and he's established a few more teams for the 50 state Initiative . . the Force of Nature for Oregon, the U-Foes for North Carolina, Psionex for Maryland and the Women Warriors for Delaware. The Constrictor even makes a sobering public speech about how he's been the victim, when he lost his arms, but then he was redeemed when he decided to register and fight alongside the 'good-guys'. He lays it on pretty thick. The public apparently believes him but it may be because it's so deep that they're choking on it. But the New Warriors don't believe it. In fact the Night-Thrasher is so worried about the U-Foes being put in place to tamper with the banking center in Charlotte that he's hacked and installed a Trojan-horse just in case they decide to play around. And don't forget that Tigra and Gauntlet have joined up with them also. Meanwhile, Osborn has been busy turning a previous Hulk-buster base into the new Camp Hammer, the new home of the Initiative. And the Hood and Taskmaster are busy getting everyone in line. We also see that Taskmaster has Trauma working on Penance. I think Trauma actually wants to help him, as inconceivable as that may be, but Taskmaster just wants to make sure he tows the line and follows orders when it comes time to use him. And things are about to heat up as the Initiative is about to get ready to deal with 42, the prison in the Negative Zone. Their re-forming the Shadow Initiative, with the incentive to Komodo being that he ex in also in that prison, but . . but they're loading up the team with cannon-fodder because they don't expect to win. They just want to soften the place up before they send in a real team. Also Tigra decides to make a move on the Hood by beating up one of his men, Percy from the Brothers Grimm, and taping it and sending it to him . . much as he did to her. I understand her frustration and anger, but . . I think she may be crossing a line with this one. One that she may not be able to un-cross. Overall I really enjoy this book. I always have. I'm just getting tired of this whole thing with Norman. And, unfortunately, now that Norman's taken over the Initiative, I gotta ask myself . . is this the same book now that I've come to love? I'm just not sure. However, I did think that Christos Gage and Rafa Sandoval did a terrific job with the creative side. I'm just not sure if I should continue to follow this book, or . . I may find more satisfaction in following the New Warriors. Hmmm!

No comments:

Post a Comment