Wednesday, July 29, 2009

Fantastic Four #569 - Marvel

I have to be honest with you . . after all the build-up of this story . . and this Marquis of Death character . . I really wasn't to thrilled with the way everything got wrapped up this issue. I know Jonathan Hickman and Dale Eaglesham are taking over next issue, but . . with Joe Ahearne helping out Mark Millar on the scripts the last couple of issues . . I gotta wonder just how much Mark was actually involved. The story just didn't seem to have the same focus as the beginning of Mark's run on this book. Also Stuart Immonen steps in on the pencils this issue. The problem came at the end of last issue when Reed literally walks from room to room, but when he walks in on his family it's as if he's been gone for weeks. And the Baxter building is being overrun by FF teams from a myriad of dimensions. Later it's explained that the Marquis threatened them into . . well, fighting themselves. "In their eyes you are the villain. I showed them the endless torture that awaited their dimensions after you refused to stop me. So I gave them a choice. Destroy your world and save their own." Eventually Reed uses a device that Valeria has been working on to absorb all of the other FF members powers into themselves . . amplifying their own powers exponentially. The problem is . . they only have 23.4 seconds before their hearts explode from the exertion. However, Ben has brought Clyde Wyncham to come face to face with his future self . . and they use thier powers on each other trying to take each other out. So when the Reed and Co. do fight him . . the Marquis is greatly diminished in power. The next 23.4 seconds last about 4 pages . . 4 pages of beautiful conflict, but it ends up being Doom that delivers the killing blow. Obviously Reed wasn't going to do it. And then he goes into this long tirade about how he came back from the dawn of time. Also Doom considers himself to be greatly upgraded, because of his ordeal, so . . "All questions of rivalry with you are settled. You are of no consequence. I bear as little animus for you as the brainless Megalodon that tore me asunder." We also find out that Ben has called off the wedding with Debbie. He just doesn't want to put her through the pain of worrying about him every time he leaves on some cosmic adventure, plus he doesn't know what he'd do if one day he returned and she was no longer there. He was trying to be noble, but . . I think he was also selfish. I don't know. Like I said . . I just didn't like the way that this was all wrapped up. I thought it was very anti-climatic. Which is a shame because up until now I thought Mark had a brilliant run.

No comments:

Post a Comment