Wednesday, July 15, 2009

Titans #15 - DC

This issue is almost exclusively about Tempest. We get a lot of background on the character and the underwater kingdom of Atlantis. We see all the triumph and tragedy . . mostly tragedy . . that this character has had to endure of late. There's also a pivotal scene where Garth takes out Slizzath. Actually, Slizzath draws him into battle, and then when Garth attacks he absorbs his energy. It's more than Slizzath can handle, but he knows that . . that's his intention . . "I'm absorbing your power, but I'll never be able to contain it. It will kill me. Which is exactly what I want. It is good news for you actually, Garth. Soon, you will not have to look to the dust with lowered eyes to seek your noble family. Soon, the dead will rise . ." Garth just sees this as madness and ramblings, but really it's a portent of events to come through the Blackest Night saga. Slizzath can talk to the dead, hell he already looks dead himself. I think he knows whats coming on the horizon. Apparently, he's trying to use what he knows to his advantage. Then, after a brief conversation with Dick . . they talk about 'fathers' and 'mentors' and the eventual, and ultimate succession of their lives . . that Garth makes his choice. "I thought you'd come to me for advice, but you already knew what you were going to do, didn't you?" He decides whether the Atlanteans will accept him or not, they need him . . and he them. So, he's going to accept the mantle that he's been trained all these years for, and fill the vacant seat of the king. "The king is dead . . long live the king!" Which will lead us directly into the Blackest Night: Titans mini-series. I'm sure that Garth will have to face his 'risen' mentor. I thought this was a great issue. JT Krul did a great job with the story, but I was especially impressed with the artwork of Jose Luis. It was very intricate and detailed. There were some fantastic panels in this book. Also the fantastic cover was provided by Angel Unzueta. I can't wait to see what's next.

No comments:

Post a Comment