Thursday, July 09, 2009

Red Robin #2 - DC


I really like this book. But, I think I'm a little jaded because I've always liked Tim's character. This title is handled creatively by Chris Yost and Ramon Bachs. So far I like what they've done, but . . we're only on issue #2, so . . we'll see. Anyways, Tim has gone abroad. He's convinced that Bruce isn't actually dead, and that if he just follows the clues he'll be able to find him. You know, now that I think about it, I bet he doesn't know about Connor yet. I wonder if that might lighten up his mood a little bit. Anyways, in his attempt to follow the trail, he's drawn the attention of Ra's al Ghul and his League of Assassins. This issue is spent between Paris and Berlin. Paris is where he's made, and he confronts the guys that Ra's has sent after him. It's funny when the guys have a bead on Tim through his apartment window. They want to know what they should do . . if they should take the shot? Ra's tells them . . "You can try." Anyways during their scuffle one of them drops a blue-tooth phone that's connected to Ra's. "I hold you to a higher standard, given your master. I've been watching you , Timothy. I'd like to have a conversation." Of course he doesn't talk to him, but he does hang on to the headset. Then in Berlin, he decides that he's willing to do whatever he has to to complete his mission. Even if it means cooperating with the enemy. That is why he switched to the Red Robin outfit afterall. He doesn't want his actions to go back to Bruce, or Batman should he need to cross a line somewhere along the way. Which, I think, is the other reason I like this title. Tim, to me, has always seemed like the guy that sooner or later was going to cross a line somewhere. The difference between him and Jason though, is that when Tim does it, it'll only be after heavy deliberation and for the right reasons . . the ends justifying the means. We also see that before taking off, Tim cuts all ties with everyone he can count on . . Ives, Bard, Harper, Oracle, Alfred and Stephanie. He especially has a few harsh words for Stephanie. Anyways, I'm diggin' this new title so far. It's a little 'harder' and 'edgier' than before, but . . I think that's what this book, and Tim's character needed. He's been traveling down this road for a long time.

2 comments:

  1. Why would he want to alienate Stephanie... they always seemed so good together, especially if he wants to become darker.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I don't know, but he been pushing her away for a while now. He just doesn't trust her.

    ReplyDelete