Sunday, January 24, 2010

Starman #81 - DC

I was excited when I saw this book listed in the previews. Especially when I saw that James Robinson would be returning to the fold, and writing it. Also . . the artwork was incredible . . and perfect for this story. Fernando Dagnino does the layouts, with Bill Sienkiewicz doing the finishes. David Knight does return this issue . . as a Black Lantern. But the story this issue is actually about Shade and Hope O'Dare's incestuous relationship. Plus, when faced with the horror of what David's image and body is turned into . . we see Shade's true character. He really is on the path to righteousness and redemption. What I really liked about his and Hope's relationship is that Shade ends up being the one to put his feelings on the line . . he risks exposure and hurt to tell Hope how he feels about her. And Hope? Hope is the reluctant, commitment-phobe. Although . . part of her denial is because of their unique relationship. 'Shade. I look at you and see the same face I first kissed back when this arrangement started. Your face. You. Unchanged. Immortal. I see a new line every time I look in the mirror. One day I'll be old.' I think she's afraid that he'll actually grow out of love with her. Didn't she ever see Highlander? The Highlander loved his first wife until the day she died . . of old age. While he was still in his mid to late 20's. Anyways, as always, James is a brilliant scribe of character. And with Shade and Hope he was definitely back on familiar ground. I thought that this was a fantastic issue. With the downside being . . it made me miss the original series all that much more. If ever there was a series in need of a re-launch . . this is it. 'The King is dead. Long live the King.'

3 comments:

  1. They aren't related . . they're just both in a relationship that doesn't really have a chance of ever working. Which I think is why they're so intrigued by it. It's the fruit you shouldn't have that always tastes the best . . or that you crave the most.

    ReplyDelete
  2. So that would be an inappropriate relationship.

    When I read "incestuous" I was scrambling to look both Shade and O'Dare on the internet. I did find a definition of "improperly intimate or interconnected". I never knew the word could be used that way!

    ReplyDelete