Sunday, January 31, 2010

the Amazing Spider-man #619 - Marvel

This time . . this issue . . we finally get a feel that there's an actual 'Gauntlet' the Spidey's being run through. And apparently the board's being controlled by Mysterio. I'm not sure how the Kravens fit into all of this. We don't even see them this issue. So . . I guess we'll have to wait and see what's happening on that front. Meanwhile, Mysterio seems to be taking control of the Maggia by bringing back Silvermane . . or, at least a robot of him . . that he controls. It appears that Carmine wasn't happy with Baby Bruno taking over the family when his father died. So he approached Mysterio to bring Silvermane back. But he's a robot, so he can be controlled. And if Carmine is controlling him, then actually . . he's in charge. But it also appears that's only because Mysterio is allowing him to believe that. Later on, Mysterio controls Silvermane on his own, and when Carmine isn't happy with his plans, and argues, the family boss takes control and kills him. It looks like Mysterio is playing both sides against each other . . the Maggia and Mr Negative's Tong. There seems to be an awful lot of people this issue that were supposed to be dead, but are now up and running around. I assume that's Mysterio's doing, but . . it hasn't really been explained so far. And even though he seems to be trying to steal the Maggia's money . . he also keeps going after Spidey. In one scene he makes him think he kills one of the wise-guys when he punches him off of a scaffolding. As he's brooding about that, Mysterio throws another obstacle at him when he thinks that his actions may have accidentally killed a whole group of mobsters. But Mysterio goes to far when he put the face of Captain Stacey as the man behind the mask . . the mask of the group's leader. That's when Spidey starts to put the pieces together and realizes that this whole thing has been orchestrated by Mysterio. Now he and Carlie just have to figure out how they're going to stop all of this. Oh yeah, also . . it appears that Mr Negative has taken control of Aunt May. That or he's definitely turned up her 'negative' side. Dan Slott writes this story. I thought it was ok. I think it's been one of the better ones . . so far. But I still wasn't thrilled with it. I definitely didn't like May's 'turn', but . . I guess that's all just part of the story. I also have to say that I'm just not thrilled with Marcos Martin's art. For some reason, the scenes with Mr Negative looked better than the rest of the book. I don't know why . . they just did. Anyways, overall I thought it was ok, but . . I've seen better. I'm just glad that I'm not paying extra for the variant covers.

No comments:

Post a Comment