Monday, January 18, 2010

CatWoman #83 - DC

I want to say that I really enjoyed this book . . both the story and the art. And while it has nothing to do with this issue . . I really, really miss Jim Balent's Catwoman. Meooww!! In it's absence, I read Tarot, Witch of the Black Rose regularly. I just don't think it's appropriate for this blog. However, with this issue, I am happy that Adam Hughes did the cover. His version is equally as succulent as Jim's. Plus, it continues with the great covers of the last series. Adam is another guy that could put together a book of nothing but cover art. Anyways, this issue is all about CatWoman's greatest regret . . as if you didn't know . . killing the Black Mask, Roman Sionis. She was trying to protect her sister, Maggie. I don't think that she necessarily regrets killing him, just that she was pushed by him to that point. I don't think she ever wanted to take a life, but . . for family, she was willing to. And now that Black Mask has returned and is trying to make her come to that decision again. At first he comes directly at her and attacks her as she's leaving a burglary. But she doesn't give him what he wants. She becomes pure 'will'. He wants the more raw emotions . . fear, anger, hatred. But she refuses to give those to him. So he decides instead to go at her like he did last time . . through her sister Maggie. Which takes them all to the psychiatric hospital where she's been held since the Black Mask killed her husband, and forced her to eat his eyeballs. Yuckk!! Since then, she's been pretty much catatonic. But it's the Black Mask's voice that brings her out of it. And then, when she sees Selina . . it all comes pouring out. The whole Black Mask thing . . doesn't really matter. Selina gets the help of her cohorts, Harley and Ivy, and they defeat him by putting him in a man-eating plant. I guess they plan on keeping him there until the Black Ring crisis has passed. Anyways, none of that's really important. Other than setting up the story. The real important thing that happens this issue is that Maggie has found a new target for her hatred and rage. It's now being directed straight at CatWoman. During all the hoopla, Maggie mugs a nun and takes off in her uniform. We see her later, I assume, in the sewers. 'It's all so clear . . should've never left the order, never renounced my vows . . then I might've realized it sooner . . my mission in life . . to kill the demon that took away my sister and destroyed both our lives. The demon that calls itself CatWoman.' There was an old series called Areala Warrior Nun. I don't know if anybody remembers that. Anyways, my point is . . it appears that Maggie may be heading down that path. Or maybe she'll just hook up with Azrael. I don't know. But I do know . . we haven't seen the last of Magdalene Kyle. Tony Bedard did a great job with this issue. I really liked the story, and the way that it was all set up to affect, and change Maggie's character. She's been stuck away in the broom closet for far to long. It's about time she got out and started making a contribution. Even if it is to the determent of her sister, Selina. The art for this issue was done by a team of great artists that include Fabrizio Fiorentino, Ibraim Roberson, Marcos Marz, and Luciana Del Negro. Obviously each of them did different pages, so I'm not sure who's are was who's. But . . there were some really amazing panels in this book. It definitely lived up to it's preceding incarnations. So far, this has been my favorite 'Final Issue' yet. Which says alot, because I was really glad to see Suicide Squad.

No comments:

Post a Comment