Monday, January 18, 2010

the Ghoul #2 - IDW Publishing

Unfortunately . . I kind of had a hard time getting in to this one. Well . . maybe that's not exactly right. I did enjoy it. But I had 2 problems. First . . let me say that I enjoy Steve Niles' writing, and Berni Wrightson is one of my favorite artists of all time. However, having said that . . my first complaint is that this book was entirely to short. 16 pages of art total. And one was a 2 page spread . . which I'll admit was hauntingly beautiful, but . . that's still only 15 pages of story. Which, now that I think about it, adds to my list of complaints because not only is there only 15 pages of story, but . . we had to wait 3 months to get that. The second problem I had . . and maybe it's just me. I don't know . . I watch a lot of TV . . I watch a lot of movies . . I read a lot of comics. I know that there's going to be times where there's a lot of similar themes or stories. But to me . . this book . . this character . . reminded me alot of Hellboy. It had the same kind of story set up. It had the same kind of humor. I swear, every time the Ghoul talked . . I thought I could hear Ron Perlman's voice. I know. That's not really fair. And to be perfectly honest, I haven't watched or read Hellboy in quite a while. So it's not like I was thinking about it, or it was on the top of my mind. It's just the first thing I thought of when I started reading. Now, Steve does have a 5 page story at the back of the book . . all prose, about the Ghoul, Kevin. But that's set up mostly to bring the reader up to speed on the character. Don't get me wrong here. I do like the book. Even if it is over-priced for what we get. However, if you haven't picked it up yet . . I wouldn't bother trying. It'll be out in TPB soon enough. I would just wait and get the whole story that way. In fact it'll probably be more enjoyable just reading the whole thing all together. Unless of course you're a die-hard Wrightson fan. In which case . . you gotta' get it, and . . you'll enjoy it. We'll see what the next issue is like. It should be out about Easter, I would guess.

No comments:

Post a Comment