Sunday, January 31, 2010

Batman & Robin #7 - DC

Well . . next issue we're about to find out if the body that Superman carried out of Bludhaven was actually Batman's . . or not. This issue is spent with Batman trying to help some of his European counterparts, Knight and Squire . . kind of London's version of Batman & Robin. Anyways, they're trying to stop a plot of Old King Coal's to take out part of London. What they don't know is that King Coal is associated with the cults that follow the Crime Bible. All they know for sure is that he's after some abandoned mine. But they don't know why. As it turns out . . this mine holds one of the last remaining Lazarus pits in the world. The cult wants to use it to bring back their savior . . the person whom they think is trapped inside the body of Batwoman. Which is how she ends up in the mix here. But Dick has other plans. 'Me and Batman, we had an arrangement . . if he was in trouble, I got him out. If there was a death trap he couldn't handle on his own, I was there to get him free. He knew he could count on me. That's how we worked. He was my brother. My best friend. I had a job to do and I never let him down.' So that's what Dick is up to now . . trying to bring back his friend from this last trap he fell in to. And he's going to use a Lazarus pit to try to accomplish that. I'm just wondering if Tim knows about all of this. He might have a thing or two to say about this. And of course it begs the question . . is that really Batman's body? Or corpse. Dick's brought Knight and Squire along because if it is Batman, he'll probably be temporarily insane when he comes out of the pit. It may take all 3 of them to subdue him. I think Grant Morrison is doing a tremendous job with this book. But then, we all knew he would after his incredible run on Batman. And, although Frank Quitely hasn't been with us for this entire run, he has done a cover for each issue. This time the interior art is by Cameron Stewart. I have to say, I really liked the style that he used for this book. It's different from what he's done lately, and nothing like his recent Jonah Hex book. With all the dire consequences going on here, the book had a 'fun' kind of feel to it. I enjoyed it. But next issue? Next issue should be a doozy.

No comments:

Post a Comment