Sunday, January 10, 2010

Echo #18 - Abstract Studio

Terry Moore has done a terrific job with this book. If you're not reading it . . you really should. This is about where I came into his Strangers in Paradise series. I think it was somewhere between issue's 15 and 18. But then of course I had to go back and buy all the earlier stuff. To Terry's credit, this series is nothing like his first. I say that because I think it's equally as good without being a rehashed adaptation of that work. This one stands completely on it's own. Last issue we got a little science lesson on what exactly this alloy is, how HenRi came to be into existence, and what Annie's role is in all of this. But in this issue we find out what all the other characters have been up to. Cain seems to be systematically eliminating all the participants of the Phi-Project at HenRi. And he's not being any to subtle about it. I'm not sure what this guys motivations are, but . . he seems to be making sacrifices to someone . . or something. So, I don't know if he's having some kind of religious experience, or what. My guess . . he's a former employee of HenRi . . or one of the scientists associated with the Phi-Project. I'm just guessing, but I think he's more intimately connected to all of this than we realize. We also get an update on Liu. He seems to be coherent, and . . despite having half his face blown off . . he wants to get out of this hospital for some reason. He looks and sounds like a mummy. But the big reveal this issue is that Ivy decides that she wants to talk to Annie. Julie has mentioned that the more alloy she gets on her, the more she can feel Annie's presence. And when she healed Ivy's daughter, the alloy was in her eyes, and . . she seemed to be 'out of body'. So Ivy tries choking Julie to get Annie to show herself. The issue ends with her eyes being glazed over, and Annie saying . . 'Stop. Stop or . . everybody dies.' I don't know if that's a threat, or a warning. Like I said, I think this has been a great series. This series has had some major character development, which I think is one of Terry's strong points. It's what he does best . . naturally. I'm not a huge fan of black & white art, but . . I didn't care on Strangers, and it certainly doesn't change my opinion of this book. There's already a TPB or two out of this series. Pick 'em up and peruse them. I don't think you'll be disappointed.

No comments:

Post a Comment