Sunday, January 24, 2010

HULK #19 - Marvel

Ok, apparently I missed Fall of the Hulks: Alpha. So this one brought me up to speed on the alliance with MODOK, the Leader and the group that's now called the Intelligencia. Basically, it's the Frightful Four . . the Leader, Claw, Lyra instead of Thundra, and the Trapster . . along with MODOK, Leonard Samson and the Red She-Hulk. Apparently, General Ross was in on this also until he was killed last issue. And, the Red-Hulk is the one who put this whole group together. Until he was betrayed and kicked out. So anyways . . the plan that they're executing right now is to take out the 8 smartest men in the world . . remove them from the playing board. That will allow them to launch their real plan without interference. Which is why they sent the Robot Hulk after Doom in Incredible Hulk #606. This issue . . they go after Reed Richards. Each member of the Frightful Four take out one of the members of the FF. Unfortunately, the Trapster goes after Ben Grimm. That fight doesn't last very long. But then Ben finds himself facing the door to the Negative Zone that the Leader opened up. He's handles this before, but never alone. Luckily . . and unluckily . . the Red-Hulk shows up. He doesn't tell Ben what's going on, but he does tell him that this has all been a distraction. When everything finally settles down they find out that Reed has been abducted. Again this book is narrated through the Red-Hulk's head. Where we find out that he's not actually trying to stop the Intelligencia. He wants their plan to succeed. But . . I think he knows where the weak point is . . the point where he'll step in and take over . . without having to do the work. So why did he save the rest of the FF? Ben asks him the same question. Before leaping out of the building the Red-Hulks tells him . . 'I have my reasons. There'll be a time, soon. Sooner than you'll like or be comfortable with . . when you're going to wish I didn't pull you out of the zone. That I let you die in there. That's how bad it's going to get . .' And then he goes back to the cave where he's been meeting up with Banner. I know Bruce is a lot smarter than this Red-Hulk so I have to imagine that he knows that Rulk's got alterior motives to their alliance. It'll be interesting to see how Bruce manipulates the whole thing. I imagine that the first 18 issues have lead up to all of this. That's why Jeph Loeb has been so enigmatic about giving us to much information. Which, to me, makes this one of the best issues in this series to date. I think we got more information out of this one issue than we have for the whole time leading up to this. That's not to say I didn't like the other issues. They just left me with a lot more questions than answers. Plus . . I absolutely love Ed McGuiness' art.

No comments:

Post a Comment