Sunday, January 10, 2010

JSA All-Stars #2 - DC

In the first issue of JSA All-Stars, we learned that the person that has been after Stargirl, Courtney, was actually Arthur Pemberton . . Sylvester Pemberton's Uncle. Sylvester was the original Star-Spangled Kid. The role that Courtney took until she received the Cosmic Rod from Jack Knight, Starman. That's when she changed her name to Stargirl. Then, at the end of the issue, we find out that he's working for Johnny Sorrow. Who has once again brought together the Injustice Society. Long story short . . this issue, Johnny and the Injustice Society come knocking on Arthur's door to collect Courtney. But, as usually happens when villains, or thief's, work with other villains, or thief's . . nobody can trust each other. So a big 'ol fight ensues. The JSA All-Stars figure out where all of this is happening and come in and bust things up. They end up getting Courtney back, but . . they still don't know what's going on, or why she's so important. Just before Johnny leaves Courtney asks him what he wants with her, and he replies . . 'Your love, Stargirl. I want you to love me.' I'm not sure if he was being serious or sarcastic. Anyways, she gets away from them, but . . now they have to look over their shoulders because they know it's only a matter of time until Johnny coordinates another attack. Meanwhile, we learn a lot of stuff about these All-Stars. First of all, their base of operation is a ranch in upstate New York. Rex Tyler, the original Hourman, seems to be running the place. And why not? With all the stuff from TylerCo at his disposal . . he's the perfect man for the job. And we also find out this issue that he's outfitted the ranch with it's own artificial intelligence . . Roxy. It's kind of like Vril Dox's Silica . . his living computer. But this one's more holographic in stature. Power Girl and Magog are still fighting over how the team should be run. And we get a glimpse of Sandman, who's now going on 22 days without sleep. He's starting to hallucinate. But I don't think it's a hallucination at the end of the issue when we find out that Johnny Sorrow has resurrected the King of Tears. I thought it was a pretty decent book. I enjoyed Matthew Sturges story. I think he's got a pretty good handle on the characters so far. It'll be interesting to see how he juggles the story with this many characters. He's going to have to get multiple story-lines going or some of them just aren't going to get much exposure. Freddie Williams II does the art. I really like it. I like the style that he's using. I think it has a little bit of a Bart Sears influence to it. There's a back-up story in this book about Hourman and Liberty Belle. It's by Jan Van Meter and Travis Moore. It was ok, but . . I just didn't think it was all that interesting. Maybe after we get into it a little more it'll open up. It just seemed kind of flat to me. Anyways, overall I really liked the book. I think it's got a lot of potential. Like I said, I just hope that all the characters are utilized to their maximum potential. But it's only issue #2 . . lets give them time.

No comments:

Post a Comment