Sunday, January 31, 2010

Kick-Ass #8 - Marvel - Icon

I'm really not sure what to say about this book. Personally . . I like it. However, I can see how some people might think that it's just a whole lot of gratuitous violence. Which, in a nutshell . . it is. But . . it's just entertainment. No I wouldn't let some 12 year old kid read this book, but . . that's just me. However, if you think about it, there's no more graphic violence in this story than there is in some of the video games kids are playing. I remember the first time I played through Resident Evil. There were a couple of spots where I almost jumped off the couch. And it's only a video game. Which actually begs a whole nother question for me . . how are they going to make this book, or story, into a movie? Personally, I think it would make a better video game than a movie. Anyways, yes Hit-Girl is a ruthless bitch. Especially considering that she's only 8 years old. But . . you kind of feel sorry for her after what happens to her dad. And Dave? I actually think that Dave wants to make a difference in the world. I think he started out wearing the colorful undies for attention . . and the thrill. But now? Now I think he knows that there's some problems out there that aren't really suited for the spandex crowd. At least not the under-age ones. I don't think he had the intentions of getting involved in a situation as occurs in this story. However, sometimes things just have a way of progressing out of your control. I think Mark Millar and John Romita Jr did a good job here. It was original. My only problem is that it does kind of feel that it was actually written with the movie promo in mind. It kind of feels like the comic version came as an after-thought and that the original intention was solely as a movie script. Which some people could think is a sell-out . . I guess. But hey . . these guys are just trying to make money and pay their bills like the rest of us. Right? Overall . . I enjoyed it. It was a bit over the top in the violence. But . . I don't mind that. I kind of look past that and just try to get a feel for the story. This particular issue seems to be written as a wrap up for the first chapter of this story . . the first 8 issues. Who knows when we'll see the second chapter. The first issue of this book came out almost 2 years ago. With the last issue being about 4 months ago. So . . it may be another year before we see something again. Like I said, though . . to me, it was entertainment, and it was original. I guess we'll just have to wait and see what happens next.

No comments:

Post a Comment