Saturday, January 12, 2008

Metamorpho Year One #6 - DC


I really am a fan of Rex Mason. I really like the Metamorpho character, even though I feel that he's been seriously underutilized over the years. So when this series came out . . . I was excited. I was excited to see one of my favorites in action. And I was excited to see him be the star of his own series. But . . . that was short lived. This, really, was just a rehashing of the same old story. No new ideas, concepts, or expanding on anything. Honestly, the very best part of this whole series were those amazing Kevin Nowlan covers. They were all beautiful. The rest of the series . . . . boring! I have to admit that Mike Norton's art looked pretty good. A drastic improvement over when he first start . . really, not that long ago. So the culprit really, was the story. Which, to me, is a big disappointment, especially since the motivating force was Dan Jurgens. The story was just boring. I don't mean to keep repeating myself, but, I cannot over state this. We had a great set-up here. They were bringing Rex's origin into the modern times. There's so much that could've been done with the actual origin itself, to Rex's understanding of his powers. Plus, they really could've expanded upon his capabilities. And all of this could've been done without putting his history or continuity in jeopardy. Just a little imagination and inspiration. But this series completely missed that boat. I'm really disappointed. We have another series coming up soon . . . . Teen Titans Year One . . . I hope they don't drop the ball as well.

No comments:

Post a Comment