Monday, January 21, 2008

Giant Sized Avengers #1 - Marvel


This was an interesting book. But, I have to admit, I wasn't really overly thrilled about it. It was just . . . . ok. It's set up in a third person type of story-frame. Basically, the title tells it all, "Gossip Girls". Jan, Carol and Wanda have just completed a mission and have come back to Stark Towers to . . . . well . . . clean up after the mess. To unwind they start telling each other stories. Like I said, it was interesting, but . . . it was also kind of dull. The whole thing was framed together by C B Cebulski and Jim Cheung. Now I do have to admit that I did like Jim's art. Especially with the three women. Meoww! Anyways, they then go off in to there stories. The first is about Jarvis. He's submitting an article to a magazine about Butlering . . is that a word? . . and he has to do it in a way that doesn't divulge any of his charges secrets. He does it pretty well, by writing a story about parties in the manor. Not so much what happens, but how to clean up afterwards. The next is kind of a stupid story about how Thor, Iron-man, Cap and Gyrich ended up in the other dimension and the aliens there took something Gyrich said to be a kind of gospel. Kind of a strange one. Next is a story about a magician . . I guess . . who's travelled across various realities and dimensions, and has fought and beaten the Avengers in every one. However, when he comes here, the Avengers he finds are Luke Cage, Spider-man and Wolverine. Not at all what he was expecting. Which of course leads to his demise, because he wasn't prepared. And finally, they talk about how Spider-man was brought in to the fold, and why his particular personality is good for the over-all team. Like I said . . . interesting . . . but boring. And we round out this book with 2 reprints from Avengers #58 and #201. That's really about all I can say about it, without sounding like I'm just repeating myself. If you're a hard-core Avengers fan . . you should probably get it. If not . . . definitely skip it. But that's just my opinion.

No comments:

Post a Comment