Monday, January 21, 2008

the Death of the New Gods #4 - DC


What a fantastic story this book is turning out to be. After reading this issue, I have a couple of suspicions as to who our assassin is. But with Jim Starlin at the helm, we aren't going to know what we know, until we know what we don't know. Know what I mean? Fantastic story and art from the master of the science fiction genre. We do find out for sure this issue that the Forever People are also dead. And that's where our first suspicion comes in. Scott Free uses the power of the anti-life equation to try to coax an answer out of their departed friends. But whoever is responsible, somehow set them up to disintegrate rather than release the information. Which really, it should be impossible to resist the anti-life power. But with something Big Bear did say, it leads us to believe that the killer may be the Infinity Man. So when they go back to New Genesis, that's who Superman and Orion are keeping an eye out for. But, Himon and the Commander have come up with some evidence pointing to Orion as the culprit. While examining Takion's remains, they discovered trace elements of the Astro-Force. Which can only be wielded by Orion. But I kind of think Himon, or the Commander, are up to something here. It's just a little to neat. And the third suspicion, to me, and I think Superman, is Scott. He really seemed to freak out when he turned on the anti-life equation. But we aren't going to know for sure, for another issue or two. Also, Metron is on his own quest. He observed when Takion was killed, he was between time, so he knows who the killer is. He hasn't said his name aloud, but he has said, "This individual never before exhibited animosity towards the gods of New Genesis . . or anywhere near the level of power he's currently wielding." So he decides to try to follow his time-line backwards until he can figure out where it was that he snapped. That's when he discovers that the power was actually sent to him from a much earlier time period. So it appears that this whole thing has been premeditated. He follows that energy trail back to find that it came from a prehistoric era on some alien planet. Once there he finds evidence that someone is tampering with forces they shouldn't be. And he finally comes across that force. But in this time period, it's a ball of energy. However, Metron still recognizes him. But he still hasn't said his name aloud. "Godling, I knew you would finally recognize me for what I am. I greet you, Metron. You were always my favorite of the New Gods." Arrggh!! I hate this ending. Well actually . . . I hate it . . . and I love it. I'm sure we'll get some more answers next issue. But I don't want to wait. All I can say is that, if the Fifth World is anywhere near as good as this wrap-up of the Fourth World . . . we got nothing to worry about.

No comments:

Post a Comment