Monday, January 21, 2008

Ultimate X-Men #89 - Marvel


I have to admit . . this issue was more interesting to me than the last few. I think it was because, in the original X-men titles . . somewhere along the line . . I completely missed any explanations into the Shadow King. His identity, his origin, his motivations . . . have all been lost to me for all these years. I originally started picking up Uncanny at about issue #145. Or there-abouts. Anyways, this issue we meet the Shadow King of the Ultimate Universe. He's Amahl Farouk. He and Ororo kind of had a thing, when they were teenagers. Ororo wasn't in full control of her powers at that time, and she accidentally struck him with a lightning bolt. So basically, she created him. I'm sure he was already a mutant, with some kind of powers, but when she hit him, and sent him in to a coma, he was forced to enter the mindscape. Or the shadow-realm as he now calls it. Once there, he was forced to hone his powers, because the predominant force there was the Brood. It seems like the guy already had some evil, or "badness", in him. But this experience, I think, kind of amped that up. Anyways, Ororo ends up beating him . . for now . . and works her way out of her "coma". But for some reason she doesn't want to tell any of the X-men about him. Probably because she feels guilty for creating him. But, you just know, that decision is going to come back to haunt her. We also meet another "bad-guy" of the Ultimate Universe this issue . . Dr. Cornelius. They end up taking him down too . . when Wolverine chops his head off . . but you just know he's going to be back. He's a geneticist after all. You just know he amped up his body function somehow. Like I said, overall, I think this issue was probably the best in quite a while. Of course it didn't hurt that Salvador Larroca did the pencils this issue. I'm glad it's getting more interesting, because issue #100 is just around the corner. And, being the Ultimate Universe, I can't wait to see what they have planned for it. I want to like this book. I really do. I think this issue has definitely taken a step in the right direction.

No comments:

Post a Comment