Wednesday, January 30, 2008

Jonah Hex #27 - DC


I really think Justin Gray and Jimmy Palmiotti are doing a fantastic job with these stories. My only complaint is the art. I know Jordi Bernet has been around for a long time. And he is an icon in the medium. But, his style, just doesn't do it for me. I understand what they're trying to do. Jordi gives them a feel of the "old-time" comics. His work has a more basic, or "primitive" . . if you will . . look to it. And since this book is set in the 1800's . . . it conveys the same message as the story is trying to tell. Like I said, I appreciate what they're trying to do. However, for me, since I'm not a big fan, it just seems kind of . . . distracting. This issue our hapless bounty hunter comes across an admirer. Actually, it was someone who's life he saved when he was a child. His father was killed by some crooked law-men, and when he went to exact revenge, he was over-powered. Jonah became involved, inadvertantly, and ended up killing them all. The kid saw this as a sign and took up the job of ridding his new home country of it's wicked influence. He starting scouring the country-side for crooked law-men, and killing them. In the process he became known as the Star-man, because he would wear the badges of all the men he had taken down. That's when he crosses paths with Jonah. Jonah's after the bounty for him, but he begs him to let him finish the job he's set out to do. He gives Jonah the $1000 that he would've earned from taking him in. And, I think, by the end of the story, Jonah has a kind of mutual respect for him, and the job he's trying to do. They go their separate ways, but, I'm sure their paths will cross again. Overall, I thought it was a good book. I just have that small complaint about the art.

No comments:

Post a Comment