Wednesday, January 30, 2008

Teen Titans - Year 1 #1 - DC


I wasn't sure what I was going to think of this, when I saw it advertised. I was even less hopeful after reading the Metamorpho mini-series. But I have to say, I was pleasantly surprised by this one. It starts out simple enough. Robin is down in the Bat-cave looking for some on-line buddies to chat with. But there seems to be something going on the lives of these young heroes mentors. They all seem to be a bit more on edge, or aggressive lately. I imagine, that's going to the the "tie that binds" in the upcoming issues. We see a glimpse of all for of them this issue. The strangest one, seems to be Garth. We're not really sure what's going on with him, just yet, but, he really seems to be out of his element. Even though, water is his element. I'm sure it'll progress as we go through the 6 issues. What we see on their personalities, so far, this issue is that Robin is lonely. Maybe lonely isn't the right word. He's probably just looking for associates his own age. Wally is impatient. But hasn't he always been. Donna is inquisitive. She's new to man's world and, I think, she refuses to let it overwhelm her. And Garth . . . Garth seems to be the outcast. Like I said, he seems to be completely out of his element. But, we don't really know what's going on with him . . yet. However, there is a back-up story going on that seems to be dealing directly with his situation. However, this issue . . . all we see is . . fish. I think it's a fantastic beginning to this mini-series. Amy Wolfram seems to have a handle on these characters. And I really like the style, and mood, of Karl Kerschl, Serge LaPointe and Steph Peru's art. I assume that's pencils, inks and colors, but . . I'm not really sure. The end result, however, looks pretty nice. I really can't wait to see the rest of this series.

No comments:

Post a Comment