Saturday, January 12, 2008

Green Lantern #25 - DC


What an incredible book. When they say "Super Sized Finale" . . . they really mean it. First of all, counting the front cover, there were 55 pages of art. In this day and age . . . that's amazing! Add to that . . . that it was 55 pages of good art . . . no filler stuff . . . and it's almost a miracle. Now as to the talent of the artist . . . Ivan Reis and Ethan Van Sciver . . . . it really couldn't have gotten any better. Now, what impress' me even more is that Ivan did 43 pages of that art, and he still managed to turn in an awesome cover. I've been saying this for a long time, but when he was doing Lady Death, and other series, this guy was hugely underrated. His work is truly breathtaking. I remember back in the 70's there was an artist that really got me excited. He didn't do a ton of work. But when I came across one of his books, even if it wasn't one that I didn't collect, I always picked it up because I knew that looking through it was truly going to be something special. That was Jose Luis Garcia Lopez. To this day, I still love picking up some of his old issues and looking through his stuff. Then there was George Perez when he first started on the Teen Titans in 1980. At that time, his stuff was ground-breaking. And now, for me, this is how I feel about Ivan's stuff on this Green Lantern series. It's just been fantastic. And with this issue, he really hits one out of the park. He actually has 4 double page spreads in this book. 3 of which are simply breathtaking because they feature, probably, well over 100 characters. Oh, and you know what, I've left Geoff Johns out of all of this praise. But, the story couldn't have been put together without his scripts or vision. There are a dozen pivotal moments in this book. Places where new story-lines or ideas are going to be jumping off from. And, in case you haven't noticed, I'm not telling you to much about that story because, in my opinion, this is a book that you must have in your collection. I know it's $5, but it's worth every penny of it. And, if there's still some out there, you should really check out the Gary Frank cover also. There is no downside to this book. Unless, of course, your upset because they killed . . . . . . . . . . now I can't tell you that. Plus you don't really know if he, or they, are really dead. Yes there are a couple of key characters that are . . . . supposedly . . . killed off. You're just going to have to go get it.

No comments:

Post a Comment