Saturday, January 12, 2008

Ultimate Iron Man II #1 - Marvel

I've been waiting forever for this new series to come out. I was blown away by the first one, but that was what? . . about 2 or 3 years ago? I'm not sure what took so long for this one to come out, but . . . I have to admit . . . it was worth the wait. It picks up a very short time after the end of the first one. Plus you get a very detailed synopsis inside the front cover. So it's really not that hard for you to get back in to the story. The basis behind this one is, after his very public showing in the last series, the government, or companies unknown, are very interested in this "robot" that was displayed during the whole ordeal. But only Tony . . and his people . . know that it wasn't actually a mindless drone, but their own CEO jumping in to a rather delicate, although explosive, situation. They claim they want to test the functionality of it, and they'd like it to perform a mission for them. Tony agrees, reluctantly, but Rhodey won't let him go out on his own. So he outfits a comparable model on himself, and they give them a 2 for 1 deal. This particular issue jumps right back in to the action, so we don't get a whole lot of character development. Which, I think, is good sometimes. But it probably means that we'll get some more as this mini-series starts to roll out. It's brought to us by Orson Scott Card . . who turns in a decent story. I'm a little confused about Tony's agreeing to go on this mission so fast. Especially since it involves killing people. "So, we're like a way-more-accurate cruise missle?" But, if I put that aside, I like the rest of it. Pasqual Ferry does the art. He seems to be stuck in the Ultimate Universe. I haven't seen his stuff anywhere else lately, except here and the Ultimate FF. Not that I'm complaining. But I'm sure that this'll be a great series. Plus you noticed that it came out during the whole media thing for the Iron Man movie, right?


No comments:

Post a Comment