Sunday, February 28, 2010

the Web #6 - DC

Overall . . I like this book. Angela Robinson was writing the stories, but now Matthew Sturges is doing that. We had a guest writer last issue also. But it looks like Matthew will be on board for the foreseeable future. Roger Robinson does the art. I like his style. I can see a couple of different influences in it. And Stanley Lau's covers have been incredible. As far as creativity . . the book is on solid ground. My problem actually comes more with the character himself. It's not that I don't like the Web. I guess my problem is . . since issue #1 it's been pretty much non-stop for this guy. As the Web, we've seen him do all kinds of amazing stuff. My problem actually comes from the Web's civilian character . . John Raymond. We know that he's rich. And we know that his brother was recently killed. He's trying to avenge that, but . . up until then, they had a tenuous relationship at best. John was the smart one . . the one determined to succeed. But his brother . . his brother was selfless and a natural charmer. He's the type of guy who always did the right thing. At least that's what John's always thought. However, in order to be mixed up with the kind of folks that had him killed . . he had to be doing something wrong. Or mixed up in something he shouldn't have been. But, beyond that . . that's all we really know of John's character. I think we need some more stories that don't involve his alter ego, but rather John as a person . . as a businessman. My suggestion? If they want to keep the Web the main focus of the lead stories in this title, then . . I think they should ditch the Hangman, and use the back-up for stories about John Raymond. In order for this book to succeed, I think the reader is going to have to become more invested in the lead character. Not just as a 'hero', but as a person. And right now the personal side of this character is essentially a vacuum . . a blank slate. Anybody can put on a fancy suit and do the right thing . . most of the time. But what's his character like . . his ego . . his values? And is he the type of person that we'd like to know, or even be like? Or is he just a vacuous snob? Anyways, I'll continue reading it, because I find it interesting. But . . I'd really like to learn more about the John Raymond side of his persona.

No comments:

Post a Comment