Saturday, February 20, 2010

Amazing Spider-man #620 - Marvel

I like Mysterio, but . . I don't. You know what I mean? I think he's an interesting character, but . . he's also a character that the writer's can use to pull himself out of any situation. They just blame it on the ruse, or Mysterio's robots or theatrics, or whatever . . and 'bing-bang-boom', things are all explained and Mysterio makes his usual get-away. I don't know . . maybe I'm being to critical. It's just the same feeling I get when I read 'time-travel' stories. It seems like the story is moving along, were given bits and pieces of info along the way, however . . since all the rules are a bit oblique, things can be pulled out of the hat at the last minute that we had no idea were coming. I mean, fine . . I know that's the nature of the character and the story, but . . if Mysterio was really this good, why put himself through all this crap, the ups and downs, fighting Spider-man . . when you don't really have to? Why not just get the big pay-off and retire? I know. He's in it for the thrill. He's an artist. And every one of his cons is like a masterpiece. I guess he would be like an arsonist. He's not happy with just setting the fire, but he also has to watch the chaos and mayhem that ensues from his actions. Lame! If he's so smart he's got to know that this is the behavior that will eventually be his downfall. Like I said, maybe I'm being to critical. Anyways, this issue Spidey does thwart Mysterio's plans, but . . he doesn't stop them from killing the Maggia. And, Mysterio makes a good attempt on Mr Negative's life as well. But . . Spidey does stop him from getting the money, and he does stop him from killing the police. So . . there's a plus. After reading this story I have 2 questions. First of all, I don't believe that this is actually Carlie Cooper's father that appears to be back from the dead. The question is . .who is he? Secondly . . I'm suspicious of Capt Watanabe's indifference to Spidey's involvement. I was already suspicious, but then she mentions to Spidey that she's heard that Jean DeWolff may be the next person returning from the dead. But then when Jean actually does show up at Beck's hideout, I assume recruiting him for the Kraven's . . it turns out that it's actually Chameleon in disguise. Which leads me to guess that maybe Capt Watanabe is actually the Chameleon, playing the long game. What do you think? Maybe? Yes? No? Anyways, I thought Dan Slott did a good job with the story. He kept it interesting. Yes, personally, I thought it was frustrating, but . . like I said, I guess that's just the nature of the character. I'm still not thrilled with Marcos Martin's pencils on this story, but . . Javier Pulido fills in on some of the pages, so . . it was ok. I see next that Spider-man moves on to Mr Negative. Hopefully we'll find out what his influence on May is.

No comments:

Post a Comment